FA Cup 5th Round Recap

by Geraldine Katunga

Everton 5-4 Tottenham – Everton reached the FA Cup quarter-finals after outlasting Tottenham Hotspur by 5-4 after extra-time in an instant classic at Goodison Park.
Spurs dominated the early exchanges and were rewarded when Davinson Sanchez headed in from a corner in the third minute before Everton turned the game on its head with three goals  in eight minutes before half-time.
Dominic Calvert-Lewin equalized nine minutes before the break before Richarlison’s low shot and Gylfi Sigurdsson’s penalty looked to have put Everton in charge.
However Erik Lamela netted in the closing seconds of the first half to put Spurs back in contention at 3-2 and Sanchez struck again after more chaos at a corner to make it 3-3 just before the hour.
Jose Mourinho sent on talisman Harry Kane but it was Everton who edged ahead again as more brilliant individual work by Richarlison restored their advantage after 68 minutes.
With seven minutes of normal time left, Son Heung-min’s crossed the ball to his strike partner Kane to score with a far-post header. At 4-4, the match needed an extra 30 min, but it only took 7 minutes for Everton to find the eventual winner, Bernard beating Lloris with an angled finish. The Toffees saw it out from there and now await their last 8 opponents.

Swansea 1-3 Man City –  Manchester City rewrote English football’s record books with a simple 3-1 victory at Swansea City that sent them into the FA Cup quarter-finals.
Guardiola’s team won a 15th game in a row in all competitions, a new English top-flight record.
Kyle Walker’s cross missed everyone in a crowded penalty area and rolled into the net to open the scoring in the first half.
In the second period, Raheem Sterling placed a shot low into the bottom corner of the net, then Gabriel Jesus turned and steered home from close range. While Swansea pulles one back late on through debutant Morgan Whittaker, it was mere consolation.
This triumph means Manchester City have set a new record for successive domestic wins by an English top-flight club, surpassing the previous best of 14 achieved by the Preston team of 1891-92 and the 1987-88 Arsenal side.

Leicester City 1-0 Brighton – Kelechi Iheanacho scored a 94th-minute winner as Leicester edged past Brighton to reach the FA Cup quarter-finals.
Substitute Iheanacho nodded in from Youri Tielemans’ cross to settle an otherwise dire contest.

Sheffield Utd 1-0 Bristol City – Billy Sharp’s penalty sent Sheffield United into the FA Cup quarter-finals at the expense of 10-man Championship side Bristol City.
The game’s defining moment came when David McGoldrick’s goal-bound shot hit defender Alfie Mawson on the hand.
After viewing replays on the video screen, referee Robert Jones sent off Mawson and awarded the Blades a penalty, which Sharp slammed home.
The draw for the quarter-finals is today before Barnsley’s tie with Chelsea (20:00 GMT). The sixth-round ties will be played on the weekend of 20 and 21 March.

Tonight – Wolves vs Southampton at 730pm,
Chelsea are away to Championship side Barnsley at 10pm